Many people like cauliflower. Some people like it steamed, cooked or raw. I happen to like it all those ways and more…I like it mashed!
You see, I am allergic to regular potatoes. Yup, that’s right, No French Fries for me (though I sneak a couple in every 2-3 months because I just love French fries). I also have not had a baked or mashed potato in 17 years….how many of you can say that?!?!?!?!?!?!
Over time, I have learned about substitutes for potatoes, like Yucca Root or cauliflower. I like both but cauliflower is easier to work with then Yucca Root and a nicer texture when eating it. At least it is for me.
Below is a great recipe for mashed cauliflower. As you can guess by now if your read my recipes, I altered and tweaked it a bit for my taste but the recipe is fine, just like it is written so that is how I am going to post it.
I hope you enjoy this delicious alternative, even if you are not allergic to potatoes!
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounces frozen cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash(R)), or to taste (optional)
1. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add cauliflower, reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on saucepan, and cook cauliflower until tender, about 10 minutes; drain. Set cauliflower aside to cool for about 5 minutes; transfer to a blender.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes; add to blender.
3. Pour yogurt into blender with cauliflower and onion mixture; blend until smooth. Season with parsley and garlic and herb seasoning to serve.
Prep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Ready: 30 min
Till Next Time,
Rebecca & The Gang
Finding Our New Normal